Meteora is one of the gems of Greece, located near the towns of Kalampaka and Kastraki in northwestern Thessaly it consists of a number of rock pinnacles topped with a total of 24 monasteries. These immense, solid rocks, split by earthquakes, weathered by water and wind over millions of years, are nature’s authentic masterpieces.
The Meteora monasteries have been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List and the Meteora-Antichassia region has been officially declared a Natura 2000 Ecological Zone by the Greek Ministry of Environment, for the protection of its rare species of birds and flowers.
One of the best ways to enjoy the unique landscape of the Meteora rocks and to learn the history of the place which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
By joining this morning hike you will get the chance to see many things other visitors will never see, because we will guide you through ancient trails that only the locals know of. We are going to lead you to the footsteps of the first hermits and monks who originally arrived here more than 15 centuries ago, in order to experience Meteora like never before.
The hike will start on the foot of the Doupiani rock, right beneath the old ruins of Pantokrator monastery. From there you are going to cross the massive rock pillars of Meteora towards the northern side of the rocks, following a trail that leads to the hidden monasteries of Ypapanti and the ruins of St. Dimitrios, which in the early 19th century became part of a batle during a local uprising against the Ottoman Turks. Take this hike and hear about all the secret stories behind each place you pass by through the exciting narrative of local mountain guides. From that point and after a short walk you will find yourself gazing at the impressive monasteries of Great Meteoron and Varlaam which are located on a higher level, with enough time to spend for a visit in one of them.
The hike will then take you downhill through the ancient trail of the monks that is still paved today with the original stones and you can walk under the shadows of theses massive rocks for the last part of this marvelous hike.
- Enjoy a guided hiking tour
- Hike through the majestic Meteora rocks
- See the hidden monastery of Ypapanti
- See the old ruins of St. Dimitrios monastery
- Visit the impressive Great Meteoron or Varlaam monastery
- Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Professional English-speaking mountain guide
- Hotel pick up from Kalampaka and Kastraki hotels
- One bottle of water
- Entrance fee to the monastery (3 Euro)
- Personal expenses
- The hiking tour actually begins from the base of Doupiani Rock. Infants 0-5 years old are not allowed to participate on this tour. The maximum size of the group is 12 persons.Child price is valid for teenagers from 6 to 18 years old. For student prices please contact with us.