Chania is the capital of the Prefecture of the same name and the second largest town in Crete.
It is the administrative, economical, commercial and cultural center of the Prefecture. It lies along the North coast of the island, about 55 km west of the city of Rethymnon and 135 km from the city of Heraklion.
Since the ancient times, the city of Chania has faced many conquerors and the influences of many civilizations through time, evident on the city monuments.
The beautiful city of Chania managed to preserve its original colors and historical character, despite the fast-growing tourist industry. It is considered as one of the most beautiful cities of Greece and the most picturesque city of Crete.
Samaria Gorge Full Day Tour from Chania
Are you a good hiker and like to walk? Do you want to join a unique hiking full day tour?
If yes – then discover one of the most impressive ravines in the whole of Europe! The enormous, rugged landscape of the Samaria Gorge!
The crossing of Samaria Gorge in Creta offers a unique and fascinating experience. In Crete there are plenty of diamonds a finite natural beauty and a kind of remarkable is the gorges.
The Samaria Gorge, “the gorge, but it is one and only. The Passage of the “Gorge is a unique and fascinating experience. The hiker is confronted with nature and wild beauty. Length 18 km, but we walk “only” 16 km. Mother Nature has cut its way through the bulky limestone masses that tower up from 200 to 2.000 m. The wideness of the ravine varies from 300 to 4 meters and we cover an altitude difference of approx. 1.230 meters. Leisurely walking you normally need 5 hours to reach the south coast.
Arrive at the plateau of Omalos at an altitude of 1000 m. on the White Mountains where the adventure begins. The hike tour starts quite steeply down the ravine over rocks and stones through a forest with cool springs at shady resting sites. If you are lucky you might spot a “Kri-Kri” the wild mountain goat. At the end of the hike you reach the small fisher village of Agia Roumeli right at the Libyan Sea. You have the opportunity of a refreshing swim and a good meal in one of the local taverns. From there take the boat for Chora Sfakion and then return by coach.
- Walk through the most famous gorge of Crete
- Hike the enormous landscape of the Samaria gorge
- See the wild mountain goat
- Visit the fisher village of Agia Roumeli & enjoy a refreshing swim
- Transportation by luxury vehicle
- English expert escort
- Entrance fees (5 Euro p/p)
- Meal at the village of Agia Roumeli
- Boat tickets for the returning boat (11 Euro p/p)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- The hiking tour can be arranged also in other languages upon request and availability. For a comfortable crossing of the gorge, we suggest you to use good trainers or boots that would keep your feet steady & have a good health condition – no knee or heart problems. Complimentary pick up service is provided from hotels located in the suburbs of Chania city but not from Chania city center. Please advise your hotel. The bookings are accepted if they are made at least one day prior of the tour (until 16:00).