The Prefecture of Rethymno is the heart of the island of Crete and one of the most beautiful places in Greece. It is built between the modern day capital of the island, Heraklion, and the ancient capital of Chania.
Rethymnon is the third largest city of the island and is a fascinating combination of old and new: In the old quarter, evidence of Rethymnon’s Venetian and Ottoman past is all around one. The visitor may spend many happy hours meandering through the narrow maze of streets that seem a world apart from the hustle and bustle of modern-day life. On the other hand, the new town provides resident and visitor alike with all the amenities and facilities one could wish for in the 21st century.
Rethymno and its villages are live postcards, which are pervaded by the aroma of Cretan cuisine and the sound of the Cretan lyre.
The great number of visitors who return repeatedly confirms the words of the poet: ”Rethymno is not a place where you go to, but a place where you return.”
Full Day Tour to Samaria Gorge from Rethymno
Are you a good hiker and like to walk? Do you want to join a unique hiking day tour? If yes – then discover one of the most impressive ravines in the whole of Europe! The enormous, rugged landscape of the Samaria Gorge!
Length 18 km, but we walk “only” 16 km. Mother Nature has cut its way through the bulky limestone masses that tower up from 200 to 2.000 m. The wideness of the ravine varies from 300 to 4 meters and we cover an altitude difference of approx. 1.230 meters. Leisurely walking you normally need 5 hours to reach the south coast.
Arrive at the plateau of Omalos at an altitude of 1000 m. on the White Mountains where the adventure begins.
The hike tour starts quite steeply down the ravine over rocks and stones through a forest with cool springs at shady resting sites. If you are lucky you might spot a “Kri-Kri” the wild mountain goat. At the end of the hike you reach the small fisher village of Agia Roumeli right at the Libyan Sea. You have the opportunity of a refreshing swim and a good meal in one of the local taverns.
From there take the boat for Chora Sfakion and then return by coach.
- Walk through the most famous gorge of Crete
- Hike the enormous landscape of the Samaria gorge
- See the wild mountain goat
- Visit the fisher village of Agia Roumeli & enjoy a refreshing swim
- Transportation by luxury vehicle
- English expert escort
- Entrance fees (5 Euro p/p)
- Meal at the village of Agia Roumeli
- Boat tickets for the returning boat (11 Euro p/p)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- The tour can be arranged also in other languages upon request and availability. For a comfortable crossing of the gorge, we suggest you to use good trainers or boots that would keep your feet steady & have a good health condition – no knee or heart problems. Complimentary pick up service is provided from hotels located in the suburbs of Rethymno city but not from Rethymno city center. Please advise your hotel. The bookings are accepted if they are made at least one day prior of the tour (until 16:00).