The Prefecture of Rethymno is the heart of the island of Crete and one of the most beautiful places in Greece. It is built between the modern day capital of the island, Heraklion, and the ancient capital of Chania.
Rethymnon is the third largest city of the island and is a fascinating combination of old and new: In the old quarter, evidence of Rethymnon’s Venetian and Ottoman past is all around one. The visitor may spend many happy hours meandering through the narrow maze of streets that seem a world apart from the hustle and bustle of modern-day life. On the other hand, the new town provides resident and visitor alike with all the amenities and facilities one could wish for in the 21st century.
Rethymno and its villages are live postcards, which are pervaded by the aroma of Cretan cuisine and the sound of the Cretan lyre.
The great number of visitors who return repeatedly confirms the words of the poet: ”Rethymno is not a place where you go to, but a place where you return.”
Gramvousa Island - The Blue Lagoon Tour from Rethymno
Visit two of the most famous and popular destinations in Crete with this full day tour from Rethymno, enjoy Balos’ crystal blue waters and discover Gramvoussas’ impregnable castle which is a masterpiece of the 16th century!
Via the National Road the Gramvousa day tour starts westward passing Souda Bay and Chania until we reach the north-western peninsula of Gramvoussa. It’s about a 1.5 hour trip to the port of Kissamos where our ship is waiting. Cruising close to the peninsula you can see the geological phenomenon of the tilting of Crete, which means its rising out of the sea in the west and drowning in the eastern part.
After approx. 1 hour we cast anchor at the fortified island of Gramvoussa and climb the fortress in a 20 minutes leisure walk. The castle towers on top of a sheer rock face of 137 meters. Spectacular views over the deep blue and green waters of the lagoon.
After a tasty snack on board we continue on our day trip to our second stop at the “Lagoon of Balos”. With its pristine sands, reddish shell fragments and crystal clear warm water…a pure paradise for swimmers.
Late afternoon we return by boat to Kissamos where the bus is waiting for us.
- Visit two of the most famous attractions in Crete
- Visit peninsula of Gramvoussa & see its fortress
- Visit lagoon of Balos & enjoy its crystal blue waters
- Enjoy a wonderful & relaxing tour
- Transportation by luxury vehicle
- English professional escort
- The snack on board
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- The day tour can be arranged also in other languages upon request and availability. Complimentary pick up service is provided from hotels located in the suburbs of Rethymno city but not from Rethymno city center. Please advise your hotel. The bookings are accepted if they are made at least one day prior of the tour (until 16:00).