Heraklion is the largest urban center in Crete, the capital of the region and the economic center of the island. Among the most outstanding sights of Heraklion are the fortification walls that delimit the “old city”, the Martinengo, the Chanioporta with the characteristic winged Lion of Saint Marc and the New Gate. One should not miss out on a visit to the Archaeological Museum, one of the most important museums in Greece. Other museums that are worth visiting are the Historical Museum, the Museum of Natural History and the Aquarium “Cretaquarium”.
It is a very dynamic and cosmopolitan town, particularly during the summer period when thousands of visitors can be seen shopping in the market or visiting the museums and other places of interest.
Knossos Palace City Tour and Minoan Theater from Heraklion
Your stay in Crete and in Heraklion city is never complete without a visit to Knossos Palace.
With this half day tour from Heraklion town you will visit Knossos Palace which is the most visited place of Crete and the birthplace of minoan civilization and the origin of the myth of labyrinth . It contains the largest of the Minoan palaces which dated back to 2000 B.C. that has been partially restored. Excavated in the early 20th century by the great English archaeologist Arthur Evans. The ruins and rebuilt parts belong to the last and largest Minoan Palace, the labyrinth of Knossos. Built 3700 years ago, is over 1000 pieces. This palace was even a health system and was decorated with impressive murals. The throne of King Minos is still intact.
Continue the half day tour with a visit to the capital of Crete, Heraklion. The town of Heraklion is the largest urban center of Crete, the capital of the region of Crete and the economic center of the island.
Afterwards you will watch a 40 minutes’ performance in a stone-build open air theater. The Minoans worshiped the mother goddess symbolizing the blossoming of nature, fertility and well being. The male Deities had the role of a son or husband of a Goddess and were associated with the Bull, a symbol of mental and physical strength. They worshiped the trees-especially the olive tree-birds, animals, mountains, snakes and as symbols of power and worship they had the double ax, the horns of the Bull, the Greek cross, etc. Imagine an afternoon where these habits, traditions and customs come back to life and where you can get a small idea of the Minoan Religious and Cultural events of over 4000 years ago!
- Visit Knossos Palace
- Visit the capital of Crete
- Wonder around the town of Heraklion
- Admire the famous monuments of Heraklion
- Walk through the streets of Daedalos
- See the Fountain of Lions & the Loggia
- Enjoy a 40 minutes’ performance
- Transportation by luxury vehicle
- English professional speaking guide
- Entrance fees (15 Euro p/p)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- The tour can be arranged also in other languages upon request and availability. Complimentary pick up service is provided from hotels located in the suburbs of Heraklion city but not from Heraklion city center. Please advise your hotel. The bookings are accepted if they are made at least one day prior of the tour (until 16:00).