Heraklion is the largest urban center in Crete, the capital of the region and the economic center of the island. Among the most outstanding sights of Heraklion are the fortification walls that delimit the “old city”, the Martinengo, the Chanioporta with the characteristic winged Lion of Saint Marc and the New Gate. One should not miss out on a visit to the Archaeological Museum, one of the most important museums in Greece. Other museums that are worth visiting are the Historical Museum, the Museum of Natural History and the Aquarium “Cretaquarium”.
It is a very dynamic and cosmopolitan town, particularly during the summer period when thousands of visitors can be seen shopping in the market or visiting the museums and other places of interest.
Spinalonga Island Full Day Tour with BBQ lunch
With full day tour to Spinalonga island from Heraklion, you will have the opportunity to admire the beautiful and wild rocky beaches around the gulf of Mirabello.
From the port of Agios Nikolaos you will heading north towards Elounda and will sail close by the coasts.
In about 45 minutes you will discover Spinalonga. Visit this island whose walls hold a thousand and one secrets is a unique experience. The island of Spinalonga, actually a little island – rock just 850 meters round the gulf of Elounda, was firstly inhabited by Christians who used the island as a hiding place during the Roman occupation of Crete. In 1575 the Venetians constructed there a most impressive fortress, which was later converted into a colony for the lepers. The boat will stay for about one hour in the little rock of Spinalonga giving you time to go around and see the island. Victoria Hislop inspired by the history of Spinalonga and wrote her famous bestseller book “The island”.
The next stop will be the small and beautiful bay of Kolokytha. Enjoy your time sunbathing and relaxing on the sun decks of the boat or swimming in the clear blue waters while your BBQ lunch is on the grill. After finishing the lunch you will return slowly back to Agios Nikolaos.
- Visit the famous island of Spinaloga
- Wonder around the island and discover its mysteries
- Visit the beautiful bay of Kolokitha
- Enjoy a refreshing swim
- Transportation by luxury vehicle
- English professional guide
- Boat tickets
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fees (Spinalonga 6€ pp)
- The day tour can be arranged also in other languages upon request and availability. In case of bad weather, no swimming stop at Kolokitha beach. Complimentary pick up service is provided from hotels located in the suburbs of Heraklion city but not from Heraklion city center. Please advise your hotel. The bookings are accepted if they are made at least one day prior of the tour (until 16:00).